Saturday, January 18, 2014

Practiced by the boards

Its not a bad idea to practice by the boards.

I have found that after my accident on the ice, I am more paranoid when ever on I am on the ice or the mere fact when there's is a busy session.  Yesterday I skated the morning session and apparently it looked like everyone decided to skate, why? I don't know?  Its was just too crowded and too many high level skaters criss crossing on the ice.  To be honest I almost got sick to my stomach, I couldn't focus...just thinking I was going to get hit or side swiped by another skater (call me crazy) or just PTSD.

I couldn't wait to get with my Coach for my lesson (felt more safe) she actually looks out for me.  What I ended up doing was hitting the boards for a good 15 min working on technique/elements:

  1. Loop jump (getting the free leg in front) it was a bit awkward 
  2. Backspin with a cross foot/check out position
  3. Right inside 3 turn/back spin check out with free foot in front (its a great exercise for the loop/loop) practicing these elements will give me more confidence and become a stronger skater.

No, its not funny or weird to just hang out by the boards and practice some techniques...just have to put your pride aside and do it and be safe about it.  I also do my hamstring stretches by the boards same with my spiral stretch as well. I've seen lots of skaters do it.  You know what? I think I will work by the boards more often and keep practicing until I can feel safer on the ice without freaking out.

Happy Skating

2 comments:

  1. There is no shame in getting down to the grunt work on the boards! Hey after all some of the top elite skaters use the boards to practice take offs ! Your brave because even though you were apprehensive about all the skaters zipping by you stuck it out ! Keep it up and thanks for sharing ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and yes I find it much easier to work on certain elements by the boards but I dont want to make it a habbit, doing it by the boards and then trying it on the ice immediately has helped me a lot. Happy Skating

      Delete