Wednesday, April 10, 2013

I am not shy to say it! "I am broke"

I am writing because this past weekend I was talking to a fellow adult skater and she had mentioned to me about a previous blog post that I wrote "Is skating costing too much" and said that she can definitely relate to everything I wrote. I like to write about things that are relate-able and real life occurrences.

My hubby and I own our business for 19 years, we're a wedding and special events company.  We work  hard for what we have and what we had; vacations, cars, houses etc.  However, times has changed and business has slowed down dramatically and the economy has played a significant role.

This is a altering lifestyle now; mentally, emotionally, and economically!!! Had to down size the business, cut some of the bills at home (cable, light, phone etc) and we are now wise shoppers.  But what always comes up in our conversation is our skating.  Its a difficult decision but we did decide to minimize our skating sessions and we are now sharing one coach for 1 hour lesson.  Coach Alex is our choreographer for our free skate programs and Christina has him for 15 min for now.  I had to buy used skates and blades, since buying new pair was going to cost me $700.00.  Traveling to competitions is a definite NO right now - unless is local.  Testing is another issue because its two skaters testing and that can also add up...what we decided to do is just test one at a time ie; MIF rathter than MIF and Free Skate x2 not including coaching fee for the test day.  I am very fortunate, however,  that my coach is understanding of our financial situation which I hope its not permanent.

What is most amazing is that my daughters and hubby are so supportive and understanding.  I know it's hard on them because I have to think twice when they want something.  Its gotten to the point of whether its a "need" or is it a "want"  indeed it is tough.  But I am so thankful that the Good Lord has shown me the way to live life in its simplest form and we are still happy and content with everything have.

Christina told me on our way home from the rink "Mom, things happen for a reasons...this has altered our life style, but it has taught me to appreciate what I have today and tomorrow"

How do I define wealth, in my heart and spirit I am the most wealthiest woman in the world!!!! My family is my "wealth" my "gold" my "jewels" its not the material things - those can be replaced!!

"I love you Annand, Juliana and Christina Thakur"



6 comments:

  1. I can relate to this completely. When I moved down here, I had the money to skate, but not the time. I could only fit in time on the weekend and during that time did not have the time to seek out a new coach. Now that I'm self employed I have the time to skate, but don't have the money. I make it work by not taking lessons (currently) and skating public sessions, as freestyle is too costly right now. With some big projects on the horizon, I am hoping that makes a change soon, because 6 months without a coach is killing me. Though I've managed to still improve by focusing on what I need to work on, it's hard when you don't have another's eyes to tell you if you are doing something wrong.

    Keep your head up. I second your daughter in the "everything happens for a reason". Remain positive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shauna thank you so much for reading!! It is hard for a lot of us adult skaters indeed. Coaching is really an issue for sure...but remember you can hire a coach for 15, 20 min etc. no commitment either - you can do twice a month or just once. Some coach at the RDV charge as low as 28.00 for 1/2 hour, 14.00 for 15min like my daughter with coach Alex.

      Also, I am here as your friend if you ever need to get together and coach ourselves lol. Indeed, things happen for reasons....destiny is already ordained for us.

      Happy Skating

      Delete
  2. People measure the costs of things in dollars, I measure the costs of things in skating currency: price of a freestyle or public session. For years all we could afford to do for skating lessons was LTS group lessons once a week for six years, no public or freestyle sessions to practice. My daughter recently became a fan of Starbucks coffee and got me to like a coffee (white chocolate mocha or pumpkin latte) for the first time in my life. Tempting as it is to make a daily Starbucks run after skating, I had to say two grande coffees equals one freestyle session, and limit Starbucks run to once a week. For Christmas I got my daughter a Keurig, and we now make our own coffee at home for much less. We do not eat out unless it is a necessity (traveling on the road) or a very special occasion (Valentines, anniversary, Mother's day). We do not frequent the snack bar or vending machines at the rink, we eat before we come. I drive a 10 year old vehicle with 200,000 miles and my husbands car is 6 years old with 100,000 miles (and they are a far cry from a Lexus, BMW or Mercedes like most of my friends drive). Our 17 and 21 year old do not own a car. We do not take family vacations, instead we go to TOI competition once a year to thrilling places like Troy or Strongsville Ohio. Participating in competitions is limited to the state of Florida. We do not go to the mall to shop for fun, we only go clothes shopping when on a mission of necessity. Splurge clothing purchases must be under $20, and we are not label shoppers. I do not own an IPAD, laptop or the coolest neatest phone. All these financial decisions, big and small, are what it makes it possible to keep skating.

    Even with those daily small sacrifices and thriftiness, there are things we have to say no to with our skating. My daughter and I used to do the annual holiday show every year. Then registration and costume costs rose to where it would cost us $500 to both participate, not counting the extra gas and drive thru meals hurrying to 20 different practices. So first I stopped doing it, then my daughter stopped. I thought $500 could buy Christmas presents for two family members. I had to decide cut back further, and had to decide to either continue being on the adult TOI team, or continue my private lessons. I knew the adult team would probably qualify for Nations Cup in Spain, and since I couldn't afford that, I could not in good conscience be on the team all year. I knew if I had to stop lessons I could do that as I needed to without letting others down. I had trained all this year and dreamt of going to Games of America in Hershey with my daughter. Then reality check: my son did not get a summer internship, going into his senior year of college he really needs help getting a used car, and my daughter needs to get her wisdom teeth out. I don't know how we will pay for these things as it is, it is irresponsible of me to have this pipe dream of Games of America when that cost could pay for dental surgery or half a used car.

    Non skaters just shake their heads and say "maybe it's time for you to stop skating". My daughter is a junior in high school, she only has one year left of skating, then she's off to college. I am soon to turn 52, last week I attended my husband's boss' funeral, she was 48, died of breast cancer. Breast cancer killed my mother and aunt at a young age, two of my cousins are battling it. Who knows how many years any of us have left, or if I will be healthy much longer to pursue this addictive sport? In the meantime, I appreciate every moment I have on the ice, treasure every moment I have the privilege of a lesson with the coach, and dream of new routines with beautiful crystal coated dresses and winning medals :)Thanks for listening <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing!!! I too have a daughter in college (med school) and 1 more going to college this fall. We all have medical issues....my hubby had a massive heart attack 1 year go and I have multiple issues with my health and have no health insurance and the story can go on and on....Just be happy that we are alive and we have our family.

      Happy Skating

      Delete
  3. There are many colleges with skating teams. Some are even varsity sports and offer scholarships. The higher your daughter can get in skating the better chance she has of skating in college. I loved skating in college. It

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for reading!!! My daughter has decided to stay home and attend a local college here in Florida. She has Bright Futures scholarship. Her College is just 2 miles from the rink :)

      Delete