Sunday, June 10, 2012

My USFS Test Pass or Retry

Its Sunday testing day, and yes I am testing USFS Adult Pre-Bronze MIF and Free Skate.  I can't believe this day is actually here, it seemed like yesterday when I decided to test (February 2012).

My fate is in the hands of  1 to 3 judges who took their Sunday to sit on a cold ice rink and watch me skate!!  My Judge was so nice and made me feel comfortable.  I did have 2 other skaters on the ice, though I manage to pull it through.   The best thing of it all is that your test will be marked Pass or Retry as opposed to Pass or Fail.   I don't like the word "Fail" because no matter how young or old you are it is embed in our mind to go out there and do our very best and "failure is not an option, its a "choice" so, to say "retry" is a sense of relief for a short period of time.  What it means is that you did your best, however, you have to go back practice and test again, these tests are a good thing because this will teach you the correct positions, form etc and also respect the sport that we love so much!!  In a good note this testing is for Adult Pre-Bronze only, however, Bronze, Silver and Gold level testing is based by a points system.

PASSED!!!

Test in order:

Moves In The Field Adult Pre-Bronze Level III:
Perimeter Stroking: to be skated both directions
Basic Edges:  R/L Forward Outside/Inside Edges
                      R/L Backward Outside/Inside Edges
Consecutive Crossovers: Forward and Backwards
Waltz Eight:  Skate a figure Eight on the Ice w/right and left outside 3 turns
Spirals: Right and Left inside edge spirals

Free Skate Adult Pre-Bronze Level III
Jumps: Two different jumps either one-half or one full revolution
Spins: 1. one foot upright spin (3 rev) 2. Two foot upright Spin (3 rev)
Steps: 1. Crossovers - forward and backward (either direction)
          2. Lunge or Spiral

Though the above required elements seem like a "piece of cake" not so!! much is involved than just doing the elements, you have to have correct position and arms when doing your edges, right count for your waltz eight, correct entry for your spins, strong knee bends when stroking/cross overs etc. OH! did I mention that with all of this my legs were like Jello literally!! I was so nervous that I couldn't stop shaking.  While I was skating my Free Skate warm-up I did a flip jump instead of a 1/2 flip, "big no no" I did do the1/2 flip on my test though.

Word of the wise: I practice all my edges on the hockey line, however, when it was my time to skate my edges, I was told to skate on the center of the ice, due to other skaters skating same time with  me.  Yes, there are no lines on the center of the ice, eeekkk!!! I glanced at my coach with a shocked face!! took a deep breath and imagined my axis in my mind and did it!! The waiting for the results felt like an eternity but took one glance at the bottom and "Passed" with that I received great reviews: good edges, great crossovers, and carriage flow, body extensions :)

The experience was overwhelming to say the least.  Next in my agenda is practice, practice so I can test Bronze hopefully by this Fall.  This is a true journey for me, never thought I could actually do this and here I am with one step at a time, patience and a positive attitude, you can achieve your goals & dreams!!

Thank you so much Central Florida Figure Skating Club and USFSA for this wonderful opportunity!!

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I think it will just get easier and easier to test and compete as you have more experience, you will get less nervous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I think it will just get easier and easier to test and compete as you have more experience, you will get less nervous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, I hope so, since that is my future goal is to continue testing and maybe compete at local and/or national level, who knows. Though it is a tough sport, and I love it so much, I want to be all I can this sport allows me to be.

    Happy Skating

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome Diana and I am so proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Duston. I am glad you like my post.

    It is a journey for sure...still have much more to do. Slowly but surely my hopes and dreams are being fulfilled.

    Happy Skating

    ReplyDelete
  6. You skating a flip in warm-up, instead of a half-flip is exactly why I stopped doing my flip and lutz while I was preparing for Pre-Bronze. Now I have to relearn them after doing the half jumps for so long. Happily, now that I've passed Bronze I can go back to practicing anything I want! Its such a relief, lol!
    -Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg, that was epic!! I'll never forget that moment!!! Thank God, I passed and I will be testing bronze MIF in February. Coach wants me to test bronze free after AES. I was a bit upset about it, but she knows why. I do have a 1/2 lutz comb in my free skate which I really don;t want to skate it, but can't do a full lutz in pre-bronze free skate lol. Oh well, just skate for the best.
      Happy Skating

      Delete