Friday, August 24, 2012

Practice, Patience and Perseverance

Yesterday's Lesson: August 23, 2012

Practice:
I had a great lesson my MIF have improved significantly and I feel much more confident on the ice. Coach and I re-caped on salcows and Toe loops as well as the backspin/loop which we're working on a corrective entry and takeoff. Sort of like: a forward outside back pivot for the toe loop (take off) a strong backward left inside edge for my salcow (like a "C"), a bit different and hard to describe but this will set the tone for doubles jumps (no doubles yet).

I did manage to get low on my sit spin and my loop jumps are finally showing its light. My flip jump is another story for another day...It seems I am under-rotating, but with more practice, one day I will wake up and it will be a "light bulb moment"!! My determination will not stop, I'll continue to practice, practice!!

Haven't practiced on my axel jumps since I began testing USFS, I've had to put on hold my ISI Open Silver level elements and programs until all Adult Bronze testing is complete. Axel still needs to get a bit higher and more control of my arms, they seem to be all over the place (still working progress). I need to practice and focus on my testing the less distraction the better for my performance.

This video was taken May 13, 2012 my very first axel attempt
Patience:
In skating it seems that every entry whether its a spin or a jump a mohawk or 3 turn is involved. I have an appreciation for the 3 turns and mohawks they create not just entries for jumps and spins they give you style and grace when skating a program such as footwork or a dance sequence. Some skaters tend to have fear for these elements and even myself was always hesitant in my early years of skating.  As I've progressed in my skating, so has my form and presentation thanks to proper 3 turns and mohawks.  With patience anything is possible.  3 turns whether they are forward or backwards, they take a time and patience to master - just like we practice on our free style programs we cannot forget to practice these important elements as well.

Perseverance:
I haven't given up on my back 3s since they're Silver level moves and I am pleased to say that I am working really hard and get ready for my next testing level Adult Silver MIF in 2013.  My backward 3 turns and double back 3s for quite sometime now and actually they're not so bad.  If I can keep my momentum and persistence, I can implement my dbl 3s in a flowing movement in my Free Skate.

FYI:
The main focus is to put your back and/or shoulders to the outer part of the circle lobe, bend knee and turn same time with your arms.  I like to ride the edge and down and up then turn.

Backward 3 Turns:  I really like back 3 turns, though I need to get them clean and implement stronger knee bend and keep my free leg in front.
  • Backward left inside
  • Backward right inside
  • Backward left outside
  • Backward right outside
Keep going, focus and it will happen, not looking for perfection but sense of being an elite skater!!!

My 3 "Ps" Practice, Patience and Perseverance.
Everything and Anything is Possible

No comments:

Post a Comment