Friday, January 11, 2013

Skating and Back Injury

Skating and back injury is not a good combination: Update

January 23rd 2013
Had a conversation with a friend of mine and we were talking about injuries and pains on the ice.  She mentioned to me KT Tape which she swears by it and highly recommends it.  All athlete use it to prevent injury and help you recover faster also for comfort, relief and help the healing process.  Its ideal for any sport and for every part of your body such as back, knees, shoulders, writs etc. this is the link for it.  They also have a video demonstration how to use the KT Tape.  Good luck and safe training and skating!!
https://www.facebook.com/kttape?fref=ts

January 17, 2013: Thursday
Today was my last session of acupuncture!! and I have to say that I am feeling much better and hardly any pain.  I did, however, decided to just rest and try to heal.  Mostly more important to stay focused and work on my elements on the ice as opposed to jumps etc.  Next week seems to work perfect because theirs a big hockey tournament and ice will be blocked for most of the week..  So, this will give me more time to heal...I will skate but limit myself and take multiple breaks in between, some stretching.  I am very anxious to get my program for my dramatic/interp for Sectional.  I have plenty of time on my hands so I took the liberty to choreograph my progam for starters on paper and now all I have to do is skate it with music and let Coach Lynn approve it.

Quote of the day:
Take your time and get better "the ice will always be there" by LC

January 13, 2013
I am happy to say that I was back on the ice yesterday yeah!!! After sustaining a back injury on my right side.  I really can't recall how it happen but I might just guess its a numerous things adding up to it - I do remember working on my laybacks around the holidays, as well as my right hip has been bothering me too and feeling that rubber band effect (if you suffer from back pain or injury) you'll know what I mean its like your lower muscle/nerve area tightens and it feels like its going to snap - the ouch oooh eek effect!!!

My first back injury was In 2005 where I suffered 2 herniated disc L4 and L5 which was hospitalized and couldn't walk for a month or so.  After numerous treatments, therapy, chiropractor, orthopedic doctors, cortisone shots (not fun) nothing seem to work, last option they said was surgery!! 1. I didn't have the money  or insurance and 2. the results were not that positive or promising.  My accountant had referred me to his doctor aka acupuncturist, he is very good one and highly recommend.   Decided to just give it try didn't have much lose any how.  I went and had about 10 sessions and a year half later I was SO relieved that I began doing normal activities: driving, walking and THEN skating.  Still going to my doctor til today.

So, I do recommend this natural alternative treatment and its results is much quicker and no medication needed.  I am one that I don't like to put medication, pain pills in my body which can destroy my liver, kidneys etc.  Also, with my skating I need something that works and is has quick results.  The process is maybe a few treatments, but FYI the first session is a bit painful but after the second session is not that bad.

Today, I have less pain than usual and almost feel normal again and walking like a normal human being and driving is less stressful.   I did have to re-evaluate my skating goals and just skate what is most comfortable and most important.  So, no testing and no competition in February.  However, I am more focused on this upcoming National competition in March.  I will focus and get healthy physically and mentally is most important when competing. I can't predict my outcome at the competition but I know this; "I will skate with my heart and passion".

Happy Skating
Live Today Like Its You Last

No comments:

Post a Comment