Saturday, April 13, 2013

It never hurts to try a new jump "Lutz"

Though in my mind I hate the *flip* or any toe jump for that matter!! All I know is that the flip jump is the Devil's child hahaha!!  Since I am now back on the ice from a 4 week break,  (injury) I am feeling much better and more confident.  During my practice session with the help my daughter Christina aka stand-in coach, I decided to just *try* some new jumps one of them was my lutz and also a sal/loop.  Did try it a gazzillion times, managed to land a decent one that was video worthy.  Though I was told to seriously work on my flamingo legs or aka chicken legs...it seems I can't break this habit with the free leg during takeoff needless to say its another dilemma that has to be addressed.


I have to admit that I am one of those who will say a million and one excuses not to try a jump or spin, but it all boils down to "what is the worst that can happen" *you fall* just have to get up and try it again.  Its been in the back of my mind for a while now, and never built up the courage to try it....being that I skated at sectionals and did a combination 1/2 lutz/salcow/ballet jump,  I said to myself  "self" let's just give this lutz jump a try and go for it no matter how stupid or how bad the jump will look on video....this is the only way I'll get better and improve with positive criticism by my fellow skating peers.

In all truthfulness, I am my worst critic when it comes to skating but I always love to get criticism from my friends.  I've gotten some positive input just from this video and I would love to share it with you.

Practice warm-up on ice:
  • 1/2 lutz jump to single flip jump = a single lutz
  • Power pulls (lutz): take off
  • Back pivot from an forward inside edge: rotation take off
  • Jump rotations on the ice: 1/2 and full (note: must land on toe pick for safety)
  • Back spins = full rotation
  • On the boards; foot crossed jumps and exit landing
  • Off ice jump rotations and cross foot in front with landing position
Note:
Entry for the lutz hold the edge longer and keep left arm in front and right arm back. Jump up and bring arms in (pull-in arms) free leg in at the same time on a 1.2.3. motion.

I have a quote that I always say: "Fear Not But Fear Itself"
Happy Skating 

4 comments:

  1. Actually you have a nice take off position, the more you practice the more confidence you will get and with a bit more speed you will have enough height for a complete rotation. Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lori I really appreciate you comment :) I actually like this entry from a mohawh which I also changed on my flip jump instead of 3 turn - this gives me more control and position, just have to hold it longer, right? and work on jumping up! Keep going sure will, I want to land this jump cleanly for the Xmas show in December. Are you on FB?

      Delete
  2. you are so fearless and dedicated, I love hearing and seeing your progress. Hugs Ash

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awh!!! Thank you so much Ashley!!! I try to write my progress so others can relate. Its been a long journey and I am so proud of myself, I even competed at Sectionals and that was truly a dream come true, goal is to compete at Adult National 2014. I am trying to heal and hopefully test the rest of the year.

      Delete