Saturday, May 25, 2013

Do I have abilities?

May 25, 2013

I got up early this morning and didn't sleep in haha...headed to the rink and of course it was crowded.  Given the thought that I can get there early I would have the ice to myself is just to much to ask.  Though summer is here and the munchkins are out of school means crowded ice.  So what this skater  to do?  I am not sure but, I have decided to skate in the am during the week aside from my normal lessons. Want to get my act together and prove to my coach that I am not a failure and no more meltdowns.  I have to repeat my affirmation "I can do this".

Today's skate:
Well for starters worked strictly on moves, moves, and more moves....I think I dream MIF in my sleep but then again...its the only way I can better myself and pass this test Bronze MIF yikes!!!! here is a breakdown of what's expected at the test session.  I am 50 years young and I've decided to skate Adult Masters Track only available for MIF free skate in just Adult Standard Track.
  1. Forward and backward perimeter stroking; focus: continuous flow and strength
  2. Forward power 3 turns; focus: continous flow and strength
  3. Alternating backward crossovers to backward outside edges; focus: continuous flow and strength
  4. Forward Circle Eight; focus: Edge quality, continuous flow
  5. Five-step mohawk sequence: focus: edge quality and extension
Sounds easy....NOT!!! all you have to do is skate the test within 14 minutes and a passing average of 2.5 and a passing total of 11.5.  There's much involved to these elements.  Skating on the axis and make sure that you skate an equal and same size of lobe on the ice.  Tracings and quality of edge work is also very important also is trying to have the correct count for stroking and position.  I am keeping focused, confident and hoping for the best if not then there is always a Retry (hoping not to).

On a quick note:
Manage to skate a good free skate and also worked on my back scratch spin which is a tormenting for me...but its getting there slowly.  My salcow/loop jump is getting better can now hold my position after the 3 turn and not rush the landing into the loop jump - still its a working progress but I am hoping put this in my free skate program eventually.

Something I feel a need to share with you all and maybe you can relate to this: While writing this blog post that even the "negative aspects" of skating is also part of my journey and experiences as an adult skater.  Even the elite skaters have other skaters that don't like them and always trying to bring them down.

Here it goes:
Last month, someone (skater) wrote in a comment on facebook saying "I am only a Pre-bronze skater and I can barely do a waltz jump and have any "abilities" to even get on a harness and try dbl sal".  

Why do people like miss interpret things to suit themselves to hurt others?. Keep reading....  This comment came about by a post that I had wrote: "So, coach is going tol put me on the harness to show me a what its is like to do the scooping "entry" like how its done on a double sal...so I can get the "scooping" motion on my  single jumps" (salcow and toe) not that I am working on them now or anytime in the future.  Coaches like to test skaters' abilities to try new jumps, spins etc.

No matter what you or I post....there will be times that others will dis-agree and its ok!! but to take a positive thing and/or an accomplishment make it a negative reaction. This really comment hurt me and stayed with me for a while - had to question myself and  my abilities as a skater.
I did medal gold and silver at 2013 Adult Eastern Sectionals....I am not just a Pre-Bronze/Bronze level skater, I am an ISI skater level  FS 5 aka Open Silver.

So the question is: Do I have abilities?: 
DAMN RIGHT!!! I have abilities, skills, determination, passion and the strength to overcome negative people, injuries and my health!!!  There are people like this every where and its my fuel to make it to the top and not look back!!! There will always be hater(s) that will bring you down and say things to discourage you!!! and love to rain on your parade when you land a jump or got that spin you've been working on.....I skate for myself and nobody else!!! I dont have to prove myself and/or my abilities to NO ONE but myself!!!!
Do what you love no matter who tells you different

Happy Skating

5 comments:

  1. Keep your chin up! I've noticed that people will say things behind the safety of their computer screen that they would never say to your face. Just look at YouTube comments by people that sound like they are 13 saying "I can do my [insert element here] better than that and I've only been skating 6 months!". You just learn to ignore the haters.

    Heck, I've been told on YouTube before that I am not a good singer, even though I was accepted into my college for the opera program AND given a scholarship for it. It's just a way for people to make themselves feel like they are better than you, regardless of whether they are or not.

    These people live in a fantasy world in their own head. Ignore them and use it at fuel to work that much harder. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Shauna, thanks for reading and commenting!!
      This is so true!!

      Indeed there are people out there that because they sit behind a computer that what they say has no affect or merit. But I've learned not just in skating but as a business person that there are haters and believe that they have power over you. This person had friend me on facebook never thought would say something like that. But these are lessons to be learned and not to trust others that you barely know.

      We have the proof of our accomplishments and dont need prove ourselves to no one!!!

      Delete
  2. Well said, thanks for sharing your journey with us. It's all about the journey. Some times you just have to disregard those comments, all that matter is how much you are improving every time you get on the ice!

    Hugs and keep us posted about your progress, I love learning about what is required for adult tests since we don't have them in canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Canada how nice is that!!! Well thank you so much for reading. I like to write what is real and how I can help at least one person. I like to express my experiences and accomplishments no matter who small or idiotic !!
      I like to write the tests requirements its a reminder for me as well.
      Happy Skating

      Delete
    2. ooops typo!!! I ment to say "my experiences and accomplishments no matter how small or idiotic"

      Delete