Saturday, June 15, 2013

Age is catching up

June 13, 2013

I have come to the realization that "age" is catching up with me and I am no "spring chicken".  What is most frustrating for me is to see skaters that just started figure skating and simple fact that they're way more ahead of the game than I am....I've been skating close to 8 years now and I don't want to compare myself to others in any way because 1. they are lot younger  2. They have more stamina and energy and 3. They have no fear what so ever.  Just the simple fact skating as an adult skater has its ups and downs for sure.

Sometimes I know exactly what to do in my head and I am so excited to go to the rink and try it on the ice and to realize the fact that it just doesn't seem to click....not matter how many times I practice it just too frustrating to me.   When it comes to working on a certain jump or spin, I really have to just work and work on that element step by step and break it down bit by bit. One element might take me months.....shoot years like my flip jump and not to mention my back spin....my nemesis (I think its everyone's nightmare).  One day I can jump good and other times I am a complete flop.

What about waking up in the mornings with aches and pains, one day my knee if not - its my lower back, not to mention my right hip.  My limitations to spins is another serious dilemma due to my brain abnormality which makes it twice as difficult for me to practice any spins right now.  Do not get me wrong....I am not making excuses what so ever (its not a cop out)....just me trying to express my frustration and hope some can relate.

Have to re-evaluate my skating and how long things will actually take for me to master.  If I have to re-set new goals, and reach certain levels so be it.  All I can do is just work at my pace, one day at time - one element at a time.  I've mentioned before I skate with no expectations just a positive mind-set and a good comprehensive goal for the future.

On a good note I love skating and indeed it keeps me young!!!
Happy Skating

2 comments:

  1. I hear you, all you can do is stay focused on your own progress and goals. One thing I have learned though is that even if younger skaters seem to progress quickly, everybody get's stuck somewhere. Most of them are pretty sympathetic to your struggles.... and they are genuinely excited when you start getting the element too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading Lori!!! That is one thing about the younger skaters, they are so supportive of me and my skating....when I don't show up to the rink...they ask me if I was ok...sick or what? but yes, focus and staying injury free is my main objective from now on :)

      Delete