Friday, September 13, 2013

Morning Lessons

ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS.....TGIF!!
I am happy to share that this was a good skating week!!!  Skating without *pain* is a total BLESSING :) which means THAT my nightly exercises, weekly message therapy and PT are working.  I will start acupuncture in a week or so, this will help with the healing process.  Now, I have to focus on my skills, edges and keeping myself  *injury free* tough task but I can do it.

My coach has switch me to *mornings lessons* which for the past 2 weeks its been a struggle. 1. stretching and exercise in the am is not a good thing for me.  2. I hate eating breakfast in the morning and 3. Just the thought of leaving the rink with a total skating high....and go straight to work is not my cup of tea.  On a good note; I am getting the hang of it and looking at the bright side I have the whole afternoon to myself and the rink is way less crowded in the mornings.

Lesson today was great....coach broke down my free skate program in 3 parts....1. Opening  2. the middle section and 3. the ending.  By doing this helped me concentrate on the correct entry of jumps and transitions.  What we spent the most on was the no. 3 the middle section; which is my salcow (hold edge to 6 counts) set into my sit spin lunge toe loop.

So here is the kicker!!! and my TIP OF THE DAY!!!!  I am not an expert or elite skater, but when it comes to skating and there is a tip that was given to me by my coach.....guess what??? I HAVE TO SHARE IT!!!

TIP:
SIT SPIN:  When you start your sit spin....first thing you need to do is what? 1. Strong knee bend and 3 turn into your hook right, RIGHT.   SO, when you are on the edge for your 3 turn, make sure you *go around the 3 turn to the position you first started (so if you started at 12 o'clock around and snap at 12 o'clock) and snap into your sit spin with your free leg extended out.  NOW, when you snap into position make sure your back is straight and knee is bent like the *lunge position* find you're centered then squeeze and drop down. Simple as that....and it works....Note: don't not rush the spin....just let it happen :)

TIP:
BACKSPIN:  Same with the backspin, once you go into the inside 3 turn with a strong knee bend *go around the edge turn to the position you first started...so if you started at 12 o'clock around and begin your spin 12 o'clock.  Hope this bit of tips will help you out....and if you have your own tips you would like to share with me, please feel free to mention it in the comments section.

Happy Skating, everyone and lets start this new Skating Season 
with a positive mind-set and lets work to stay injury free :)


No comments:

Post a Comment