Thursday, July 12, 2012

The "Back Scratch Spin" My Detriment

Just mention the word "backspin" to a skater and they will not tell no anything pretty in their experience.  Yes, the back spin (change of foot spin) and back scratch spin - its no doubt its everyone's nightmare one way or the other whether its FS 3 or adult bronze.  I thought I surpassed this element three years ago - but to my dismay - I am faced again and re-visited by this nightmare!! Now its worse 9 revolutions for my FS 5 test, no not 3 but 9!! Are you kidding me - this spin is my detriment to say the least.

I am pretty sure that some of you can relate to this element like a ______ ______ if you ask me.  Whether its the change foot spin or the back scratch!!! It is a very important matter - the back spin definitely is your loop and flip jump and the back scratch for sure is the element for your "Axel" rotation.  

TIPS:
1.  Its a spin, where the entry is from a forward inside 3 turn into an back outside edge (which ever side you spin on) vis versa.  
2.  once you execute your 3 turn, now you want to be tall & straight up in position like someone is pulling a string from your head
3.  Then the "snap" moment: is when you make the first rotation on the skating foot with your free leg out and "snap" or pull in your body same time with your free leg onto a back outside.
4.  When you spin the one rotation, you will feel a smooth quiet spin this is called "your sweet spot"
Pull in your free leg and squeeze down for your spin.  If I missed something, please let me know.  

What makes matters worse for me is that back in March had MRI and was diagnosed with a brain abnormality and by doctors orders have to limit the amount of spins I perform during practice sessions.  I now I wear a headband with a protective cushion to avoid any brain injury - though its not that attractive - this will not stop me, however I am more cautious on the ice.  Though I've my share of falls - now I practice my sit spins 3x, camel 3x and scratch spin 3-5x that's it!!! for the day just to safe.

So, ladies and gentlemen, word of the wise!! keep doing your back spins -don't stop just because you tested and passed. Make it a routine to at least do a few back spins during each practice.

Where there is thunder and lighting at the end
the sunshine always comes through...

4 comments:

  1. Yep, you missed me falling hard on my butt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had my share of falls and some of them were head related. The last fall I had was pretty serious which landed me to get an MRI. I am glad that I've had fewer falls now, since I am a more confident skater. I tend to fall on my axels but that comes with the territory.

      Happy Skating

      Delete
  2. haha I thought back is a nightmare only for me. I feel like it's impossible! I've landed some double jumps, I can do forward scratch, sit, camel and layback spin, but nooo back spin. It makes me feel disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same here!! I landed my axel and everyone tells me how you did it - if you don't have your back scratch. I was a gymnast and that's what helped me. I am learning my camel spin and next is my back scratch I can do a few rev but not 9 yet.

    Happy Skating

    ReplyDelete