Saturday, July 14, 2012

Oooh those "Falls"

While I love skating - I've had plenty of falls in my years of skating; during practice, in competitions and even in shows!!  Even famous figure skaters have had their share of falls - some really serious ones if you ask me. In skating I believe that falling no matter how many times, it makes me a better skater!! Though I wear my marks and bruises with pride and dignity!!!

Falling is an automatic reaction to get up and keep skating the program or show much go on, even though I have a huge knot in my throat.  I hear the audience as they feel sorry for me (oooh...) then in a second or two is the clapping!! giving me the encouragement to keep going.  In major competitions or even in a test session a "Fall" means major deductions or automatic "fail" but for the skater it's a blow that hits you in the gut.

Not sure if this has ever happen to you, but it has happen to me!!! in front of everyone on the ice... I go step onto the ice and their I go - down like a bag of potatoes with "GUARDS" ON AND ALL!!!  Seriously!! total embarrassment.


I must say that we all have had our share of falls - how about the "Superman Dive" like in this video!!!

Pretty sure everyone has had the "throw pick dive" is when your skating like there is no one watching and their you go!! "toe pick" throws you across the other side of the rink...its so crazy because, after that everyone is like "hey are you ok" because, oh yeah "I am an old lady on the ice" I think I broke my knee" hahaha!!!

How about the "Landmark" of all falls the "Bonny Hop" yep!! can't forget those.  My worst of all are the falls from spins (sit and back scratch spins), doing my flip, axel and loop/loop jumps.

In a short note:  Please were your butt pads, knee pads, head gear for your protection while practice to bad can't wear them during competition.

Its your courage within that makes you keep going
 not matter how many times or how hard you Fall!!


2 comments:

  1. That is why I am off to sports authority this weekend for knee pads. I was told by my coach. Linda you are going to fall learning your Axel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, indeed!! I had my share of falls when I was learning my axel!!! but if you start with the harness it will help you not get so much injury, its when you start doing it off the harness is killer!! I've fallen on my butt,on my face, elbow burns etc...

    I am glad that finally you get to work on your axel :) Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete