Thursday, November 8, 2012

Finally my Flip jump

In the few years of my skating, I was always going and going wondering when the next spin will happen,  when will I land that jump.  The anxiety of it all is a bit stressing not mention the worrying about the next test level or competition.  I watched Skate Canada last week and what an inspiration watching the best of best on the Ice.  I dream of skating like that one day!! only in my dreams...who knows.

Today's Practice/Lesson
Jumps:
I've been at it with the Flip jump for almost 2 years now and finally LANDED!  I did a few of them, some were semi-good but one was good enough for me!!! Its a huge accomplishment for me because I've been working so hard and now I am actually seeing my results, Thank You, Lord!

Coach had me work on Free Skate program and combination jumps today: loop/loop,  loop/1/2 loop/Sal and Waltz/Loop/loop it will take time to master but its good practice and will give me the most points in competition!

Spins:
Though my doctor told me to don't over do it with spins, I am cautious!!
Camel spins did about 7 revolution yippy!!.  Backspin are much better quiet and smooth.  These *blades* some how like backspins hehehe!!!  It's so funny, because about a month ago, I was literally cursing my blades and today, love, love them!!!

Quote of the day: "on the flip"
"remember, that your free leg (which is your toe pic on the ice) is not your jumping leg, its your skating leg, that's going to vault you up in the air"  RC

When my friend told me this - it was so hard to visualize, until today!!! and it is so correct!! the skating foot has to glide back with strong knee bend in upward motion while your toe pic is on the ice yep!!!  Now I have a different perspective when it comes to the Flip!!

On a Short Note:
On the Ice:
Work on backspins consistently, back double 3s and salcows these elements is the "key" to your Flip jump.

Off Ice:  
Standing in one position and with your left arm in front and right back, you want to hop on your right foot and at the same time bring your left foot into a "4" position (foot over your right shin) and jump/hop bringing arms together.

Hard work, persistence and determination don't give up!!  I still have a lot to work do with my flip but its not  stopping me!!!

Can't Stop Smiling - Happy Skating

No comments:

Post a Comment