Thursday, November 22, 2012

Videotaping And Skating

For Me:
I remember when I first started skating, my daughters asked me "mom what do you want for your birthday?" I said, "besides a Zuca bag. I want a cheap camera with video capabilities."  I really like to video tape myself whether its a practice session or its a competition, for me its a learning experience because it gives me the chance to watch myself skate and see what I am doing wrong and correct it.

Also like to receive the feed back from other skaters such as advice and tips on what I can improve in future. Sometimes, its capturing a moment when you finally landed that one jump you were trying for a *gazillion* time or the dreaded spin that has been *haunting* you for the longest and finally!! you go it and its on tape for validation!!!  I tend to watch my videos over and over, no matter how old they are.  I say what ever works for you as to improving your skating skills is a good thing.

Friends:
I have gotten some positive response from videotaping. Since I have been positing my videos, a few of my adult skating friends like the idea of videoing themselves as well.  So, now they have told me that they're going to start doing the same thing. This will give them the opportunity to view their moves and elements on tape and do the same.

Coaches:
My coach and same as others like to tape their students for the same reason. My coach likes to video my skating especially a week or two before testing - she will point out exactly the area I am not getting right.  Also the coach and student can review the performance as wells as technique, posture etc. and discuss as to how and what needs to be done for correctness.

Me during an early morning practice session....I said I will post my back spin and sit spin and here it is!! There is lots of room for improvement but I am very proud of my progress!!.


Like I said, what ever works for you to improve your skating, for me its videotaping myself....like the saying says "the proof is in the pudding"  Sometimes, others may say when you landed a jump "oh, good for you, where's the video?" they ask as curiosity and validation on their part. Well here it is...."on video"  I don't upload video to show off or brag about my skating its simply another tool for me to better my skating.  Keep skating and get those cameras rolling!!!

Happy Skating!


1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for reading!! They might be other ways for sure as to how to improve most definitely. I carry my camera in my bag all the time.

    ReplyDelete