Thursday, December 13, 2012

Accelerate with Off Ice

December 13, 2012

World and International Coaches highly recommend doing off ice training!!
Performing off ice and warm ups before practice helps accelerate your performance.  Skaters achieve results faster and stronger when they continue doing off ice practice on a regular basis.  Some rinks provide classes and/or training but if your rink does not provide it, you can try and do some off ice at home, but ask your coach first before doing it on your own.  Your coach will show you what jumps practices to work on.  With practice and keeping it consistent you will achieve:

Higher Jumps and Rotations
Speed and Endurance
Flexibility and Balance


I make it a routine to work on my jumps etc. on a  weekly basis.  I like this video, off ice has helped me significantly for sure.  One thing to keep in mind is that when you do jump rotations off ice, you are on a stand still oppose to when skating the jump you are gliding.  I try to warm up right before my lesson by doing some jump rotations, and stretching this will loosen muscles by doing this you'll avoid muscle injury etc. on the ice.

Today's Lesson:
I did have a good lesson, however, skated a run through of my free skate and 1.40 min I was out of breath something is wrong, I am completely out of shape -even though I skate -  I am definitely out of shape hmmm some how this does not make sense.  I have to find way to skate without running out of breath.  I don't want to any exercise that will make me loose weight, in fact I need all the weight I can for health purposes.

Overall on a good note:  My jumps are improving nicely and my MIF are much quieter and smooth.  Gearing up for my next test coming up soon in Feb 2013.   I think I'm ready, but I don't want to feel over confident and then I don't pass.
A Merry Christmas to All
Happy Skating


2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear that you're landing your flip jump! You go girl! As for the "out of shape" thing, what sounds you're struggling with is endurance. If you seriously not fit, you wouldn't be able to do jumps or spins. That being said, doing exercises off-ice may help, but doing a few things on ice can also do wonders. For example, run through your program twice, back-to-back, possible. Another option would be skate around the rink a time or two after you finish your program. Do this every time after you finish your MITF or program. You may feel super tired with dead legs afterwards for a while, but as your endurance gradually builds, it'll get easier.

    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janet for reading!! There is still much to do with the Flip jump working hard to get it consistent and fully rotated. My biggest concern for me when it comes to endurance is the fact that I cannot afford to loose more weight, in fact I have to gain more weight for health reasons. So I need to find a way to increase endurance without loosing weight. My only thing to do is what you said skate my programs back to back. This will help for sure.
      Happy Skating

      Delete