Monday, March 11, 2013

Eastern Adult Sectionals Re-Cap

Don't know where to start!!  My DREAM has come TRUE !!

Adult Sectionals was my very first USFS and Adult Sectional competition.  I had no idea what to expect but to just go with the flow.  We drove down to Ellenton, FL and was greeted with smiling faces at registration and a fun goodie bag with lots of cool stuff; gummies, water bottle, bio-freeze (which came in handy) very important to have.  I received my official pass and program, then it hit me!! like a dear on head lights!!!! I cannot turn back...it is what it is!!!  It was so nice to see everyone dear and far and my facebook friends I met for the very first time!!!

Not sure if I had mentioned it in my previous post but 4 days before the competition I suffered a strained hamstring.  I was in total devastation what was I going to do scratch sectionals?? first things first:  follow the RICE practice to lesson the pain, swelling.  I trained for this Competition all season last year, I've come so far to just give up!!! I am a fighter and I called my coach and the last lesson before Sectionals my coach decided to re-choreographed my programs to lesson my pain and injury just in case "plan B".

With my leg strapped up and smelling like "bio-freeze" I was more worried about other skaters smelling something weird lol but no there was no odor thank goodness!!

To add more drama-  it was daylight saving time!!! really I did not save any time since I had to wake Sunday morning literally the crack of down.....here we are driving to the rink in total darkness.  I was in pain but had to suck it up....I said to myself  "I am not going to cry or make any excuses - go out there and skate woman"

Dramatic program was my first event on Friday, so I was not in much pain but I was very pleased with my Skate.  After my Dramatic - I started feeling more pain.  Did not skate Saturday, and things was not looking good  I was thinking should I scratch? I have till Sunday. Decided to skate on Sunday -  my free skate everything went down hill after that - In my Free Skate program had to take out my Camel and Sit Spin, Loop Jump two Spirals (forward and backwards). Upset that I had to skate it pretty much slower than usual my jumps did not have any height either but did land them nicely despite my landing leg was bent lol. I am proud of myself that I placed 2nd and I did skate my best injury and all.

In the mist of all of this the only time that I did not feel pain was when I was amongst my fellow skaters and peers. What an amazing experience, had so much fun!!! My favorite part of the competition was the tussies that were thrown at me when you finished skating :)
2013 Eastern Adult Sectionals
Gold Medal - Dramatic/Interp
Have to thank Ria who helped choreograph my dramatic program and coach Alex Wilfand who was there every step of way and not to mention my other coach Chrissy aka my daughter!!  Also my hubby and Juliana who sneaked a video of this program.  Thanks to all my friends who cheered me on!!!

2013 Eastern Adult Sectionals
Silver Medal - Free Skate
I enjoyed skating my free skate with a slight bobble in the opening but manage to skate it well (it was not my best) I know I could have skated better but at least I finished and I am so proud of myself.  We are our worst critics - after all is said and done, now lies the "should've, could've,  would've" but I am going to learn from this experience for the better.

I met and made so many friends not to mention I had a chance to talk and sneak this photo of  Champions Pair Skaters Felicia and Nate!!

All I have to say is this "If you never skated at an Adult competition?  This is the best Competition by far"  So sharpen your skates, get with your coach and start planning for Adult Sectionals 2014....I will see you there next year.  Adult Nationals 2014 here I come!!!
PS: my outfits we a hit, everyone love them :)

Happy Skating

4 comments:

  1. It was so exciting to meet you guys and because of you, I finally nailed my crossover. Your advice was precious, and I know you skated with your whole body mind and heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations Chrystie!!!! I knew you can do it!! I wish I lived closer to you to help you more...keep at and don't forget to set short and long-term goals...this will help you progress and have something to look forward too.

      I did skate with my heart and soul but to skate in pain is another story in itself. I am happy with my overall performance and now just have to heal and stay off the ice for a while...but I'll be back full force!!
      Happy Skating

      Delete
  2. Congratulations for doing so well in spite of your injury! 3 Years ago I skated at nationals with a completely revised (a few weeks earlier) program due to injury. it wasn't fun but I came 3rd so can't complain. Be sure and take some time to look after that hamstring :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lori !! I am healing nicely now its been 3 weeks this week and I am pain free....so happy that I can hopefully be back on the ice next week.

      It is funny how things happen and we some how find a way to keep going despite circumstances. We have to thank our coaches for their hard work and efforts and short notice.

      Now I only focusing on my testing, and training for AN 2014
      its a dream of mine :)
      Happy Skating

      Delete