Monday, March 25, 2013

Healing after injury - Finally

The Monday, morning after Sectionals I was in so much pain I could not even walk....my left thigh was black and blue, scared the bageebers out of me...called my doctor and the diagnosis was "Strain Hamstring" doc said its a good thing it was not a torn hamstring (surgery) thank goodness.  Followed doctors orders; ice first week, no SKATING and no off ice exercise, total rest and TLC.  Then following with message and heating pad and more rest.  I have to say that the "Tiger Balm Patch" is the best and helped speed up with the healing process.

I thought my world was going to END when I realized how serious this was, and to think that I skated in this condition.  I had to accept the fact that the healing process was so important that my skating had be put on hold until further notice and not to mention that when I do go back to skating, I have to take it very slow.  Its so hard to express my feelings but I can sympathize with other skaters who have suffered injury. I've had my share of injury but this was way to serious.

I am sad, mad and upset with the fact that I have come this far, trained so hard last year till few weeks ago now I have to start over.  But I have to accept that fact that its okay to just take it slow and move forward with my goals.

Healing Finally:
Its been 3 weeks now that I've been off the ice and I am healing really nicely.  Happy to report that I am *pain free* and I can touch my TOES doing some light stretching, squats and lunges.  I am hoping that I can start skating by next week.  A bit scared just the thought of hurting myself again - feeling paranoid if you ask me.  Have to put on big woman pants and go skate - and move forward!!

"The Passion You Have Only Fuels Your Possibilities"
Happy Skating

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you're healing! I have heard good things about using Tiger Balm. What is it? I like to use arnica (sp?) gel for minor aches, bruises, etc, so that might be something worth getting and keep in your skate bag. You can get a tube of it for less than $10 at your local health food store. I also like using epsom salts as well in the bath as they help naturally draw out impurities and relieve muscle aches. It's just something worth considering. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Janet for reading!! I am so happy to be feeling so much better!! I thought this day would never come. I've using tiger balm patches for a long time and its medicated and it acts very fast. I do also use the rub when ever I fall or other injury. It cost about $4 at Walmart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love arnica!!!! I have a tube in my skating bag, plus one at home. I also use biofreeze. Diana, I am so glad that you are healing and doing well! Keep skating!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kristina, the only bad thing about the tiger balm is the smell lol...is the arnica gel odorless?

      I've been so patient and finally I am feeling normal again, I can walk good and its the best feeling in the world. I want to skate next week but I am hesitant. Just going to work on my moves.

      Delete