Saturday, July 20, 2013

A Minor Set Back :(

July 19, 2013

Tonight was suppose to be an adult skate night and drinks afterwards....was so looking forward to it.  I skated the 6 o'clock session and I have to say that I had a great skate....I did off ice during the week and I went to the rink with a positive mind-set and really took the time to focus on what I had learnt during my lesson this past Monday.

Jumps:
I ran thru a couple of flips jumps and at first they were under rotated, but then I got the flow and landed some nice ones same with my lutz a bit scary but did good.  Loop jumps are improving....better than the 3/4 rotation from last week.  Did some nice waltz/loop jumps with really good height on the loop.  Overall, my jumps are improving slowly but I am happy with my progress.

Spins: 
my back scratch spin began slowly and just trying to focus and remember my techniques that my coach told me to work on...back dbl 3s.  I did however, manage to execute some really nice ones with more that 4 revolutions.  My goal is to keep this momentum going and get it consistent.  Not giving up yet.  Once I have mastered the back scratch spin, my next spin to conquer: the forward fast scratch spin...Hay ya yahee!!!

Then came my nightmare:
Just as the zamboni guy was preparing to enter the ice, I immediately said to myself...."oh shoot its time to get off the ice" with a sense of success and have skated well it just took that one split second and, BAMMM I hit my toe pick and landed flat on my knee and chest.  I remember yelling as I saw my daughter on the other side of the ice and all I can do is lay motionless.  I was out of air for about 2 to 3 seconds....until I realized everyone was asking me if I was okay....all I remember was Mike and Christina carrying me to the bench...to realize that I could not make it to the lobby.....the pain was so severe that it did not hit me until I pulled up my tights. My knee was busted, yep...a hot mess.....I cried like a baby.  My plans to go out for drinks with my skating peeps were canceled :(  Have to follow the RICE method if I want to heal :)

R: Rest
I:  Ice
C: Compression
E:  Elevation

I have to say Thank You ALL those who came to my aid, and Kyle for carrying out to the car.  My daughter works at the RDV as Ice Monitor and her training kicked in....and I have to say she kept me calm and did all the right things to not injury myself even more.

Minor set back:
This indeed is a set back for me since now I have to be off the ice until my knee is fully healed.  Things happen for reasons and I am so glad that I decided not to test in August. Now with this happening there would have been no way I could test - its all for the best.  Recovery will take time, in the mean while just have to rest and take it slow....since my next test session is not till November.   I don't want to loose my focus and my momentum that I had last night but praying that I can get back on the ice soon.

Special thank you to all my wonderful friends for their well wishes and concern....There is a special place in my heart for all of you <3


Things happen for reasons
Happy Skating

4 comments:

  1. I hope nothing is broken :( I've done that too, come to think of it I went down on my knee full force exactly the same way....pick getting stuck in a hole. Hope everything heals up quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, its not broken thank goodness.....whats worse last week I face planted on the ice right before my exhibition skate and hurt my knee...now I re-injured the same knee again. I am hoping to recover quickly. Thanks so much :)

      Delete
  2. You are so positive, just keep with the positive thinking and you will be back on the ice in no time . . . In the meantime just continue thinking about all the progress you are making. Feel better !
    Hugs
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashley!! All I can do is think positive and move forward...I've come so far....:) I really want to go back on the ice and skate...but I know it will take time. I just dont want to loose my momentum and technique it too me so long to finally get it.

      Delete